Teletextholidays.co.uk research1 shows that almost one in six people (17%) wrongly assumed that trips away with Low Cost Holidays were ATOL protected2, which if true, would have meant they received their money back following the company’s collapse last week.
In light of the recent demise of Low Cost Holidays and the impact it has had on thousands of British holidaymakers, teletextholidays.co.uk wanted to share some insight into ways customers can get the best package and peace of mind when booking that all important holiday abroad.
Wayne Perks, managing director of teletextholidays.co.uk says; “As the UK’s longest established digital travel agent and with over 20 years of experience delivering great value deals, we understand what’s important to British holidaymakers when they go abroad. We know it’s easy to be swayed by a super-low price, but it’s equally important to have peace of mind too – especially in these uncertain times – and that’s something that we help offer our customers.
“Ensuring that holiday bookings are made with a reputable ATOL protected travel agent like teletextholidays.co.uk is the easiest way to do this at no personal cost to the traveller. We know that 90% of people value the security of ATOL protected holidays*, however only around a third of holidaymakers (32%) know whether their travel agent is covering their holiday – as people aren’t making sure before they book.”
To help Brits get the most from their trips away, teletextholidays.co.uk has collated some top tips to ensure those special summer-sun holidays are protected:
- ATOL protection – check that a travel agent is ATOL protected and has covered the holiday for legal security and financial protection – the booking has to include a UK departure/arrival airport and either car hire, hotel or both as part of the package to be covered3
- Credit card – use a credit card to book the holiday to ensure it is financially protected. The credit card company will refund the money and pick up with the travel agent separately should there be a problem, making the process simple and hassle free
- Travel insurance – always take out travel insurance as it can cover everything from refunding holidays to repayment of medical expenses. Always check the T&Cs before purchasing to get the most comprehensive option available
- Safe & Secure – keeping belongings, documents and passports secure and locked in the hotel room safe when on holiday will avoid the need to fork out for replacements, admin charges and the additional headache, should they go missing
- Travel Trust – when handing over large sums of money for a holiday, look into who the money is going to. Consider whether a company has been around for a long time, whether they’ve a positive reputation in the industry, are legit and are they trusted by previous customers
For further media information about teletextholidays.co.uk, travel deals or travel spokespeople, please contact:
email@example.com / 020 7479 0910
Notes to editors
1Independent research carried out by Nepa for Teletext Holidays between wk28 2015 and wk27 2016
2ATOL (Air Travel Organiser’s Licence) is a scheme backed by the UK government which protects customer’s money that has been paid to the travel firm.
3It’s possible to check whether the company is ATOL protected here: http://www.caa.co.uk/atol-protection/. Please note that ATOL does not protect the holidaymaker if booking direct with an airline or if booking is just accommodation.